This week, we connected with Pooja Menon Vaidya from Aditya Birla Finance Ltd. to understand the dynamics of digital marketing in finance sector and get some handy tips and tricks for aspiring digital marketers.
Here’s a look at Pooja’s professional life and what keeps her motivated to work in this dynamic digital space.
1. How does your normal working day look like?
I begin my day early at 6 am in the morning, juggling between approving content and website-related stuff on my phone and cooking. I generally avoid preparing a to-do list as most part of my day goes in managing ad-hoc work, and this continues till 11 pm. In a space like digital marketing, every hour seems to bring on a new task and challenge, which honestly is the best part of my job.
2. What are the most helpful tools according to you that help you get the job done efficiently?
Evernote – helps me remember the 10% work I have planned for the day and allows me to note down the numerous random requests/projects that emerge every day. I don’t think any app other than this is used as frequently.
3. How did you get into digital marketing? What do you love about your job?
Campus placement right after college allowed me to get into direct and loyalty marketing, and from there, the jump to digital during my 2nd job was pretty unplanned – but I think that’s absolutely the best thing that could happen to me. I love what I do for two reasons:
- It gives me the space to be creative (you should see my desk when I say creative, it’s filled with the most-interesting, quirky stuff to keep me inspired!)
- The field is so dynamic that I can absolutely never get bored with my work – with new challenges and continuous learning, it keeps my grey cells active
4. Tell us about your hobbies. What do you do to unwind from the busy working life?
I love reading; I am on my Kindle 2 hours every working day, and 5-7 hours every weekend. I read 4 newspapers every day, and 5 news magazines every month. When I say “love”, its actually an understatement.
Also, I catch a movie every Friday; it’s more like a ritual now, can’t miss it for anything!
5. Any advice for people who want to get into this dynamic digital marketing space?
Keep reading as much as you can. It’s not easy being in a field where you have such tough competition – there are 100 digital media professionals easily available for one open position in digital marketing field. We need to strive to be the best always, catch the pulse of what is happening around us, and be able to communicate it in the best way to your audience.